AWD vs 4WD

Dale

There are all wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles. I need to buy a vehicle for my wife to get around in. We recently moved to a mountainous area where the roads are hilly and curvy. Which is better??

Kohn

I imagine possible off-road scenarios for you. So it seems to me that 4WD is the best option for you. It has a 4-low option that creates more torque. AWDs do not have that.

Andy C

Yeah, you would need a 4WD for anything treacherous or off road. We live out some pretty steep hilly roads that have a lot of snow on them during the winter so we have 4WD. AWD is for folks that are on the low lands. It's good for that but I wouldn't want to try it up hills or on really bad weather roads.

Mario

The four wheel drive option is best in hilly and curvy situations. You might also consider a model with electronic stability control---I hear nothing but good about it.

MustangSally

I would have assumed that AWD and 4WD were about the same. Since they aren't and AWD is not good in bad driving weather, how are they any better than 2WD, especially if the 2WD is front wheel drive?

Max

The gearing on a four wheel drive vehicle is such that you get more torque than you would with an all wheel drive. More torque equals more power to drive you up hills.