Car accidents cost 100 Billion annually!

hotrod

I never would have thought that auto accidents were this expensive, but apparently a government study (which can be found here http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/cdc-crash-cost-study-12406/) discovered that each licensed driver in the US pays $500 per year because of them for a total cost of $100 Billion! Just imagine what better uses we could have for that money.

Last edited:

Trucker12

Wow, that just tells you that we need to be more careful when driving. That is a huge chunk of change. Good thing we have car insurance and it is not coming out of our pockets!

DeerKiller

Yeah, but insurances are a rip off. I haven't had an accident in over 40 years and then last year I had one. Now I'm paying over $250 a month for car insurance. It seems like they would give me a break since I've never had another car accident. But they didn't.

Jeepster

That's right, you'd think after paying all those years, you'd have enough insurance money stashed away in some escrow account to settle the accident without increasing your premium.

sandis

I am honestly amazed at the idiots on the road. Sometimes I think the tests we take are too easy, and for those who just skim the test and get by "just barely" with the skim of their teeth.

hotrod

I think it really stinks that they jack up your rates when you are accident free for so long. I think insurance companies rip everyone off for sure, but unfortunately we have to carry it.

Rockett

So this is why my insurance is so high? I have never had a chargeable accident, but yet I have to pay for everyone else's? There needs to be a better system.

sandis

I have to say, those numbers could be off in a good or bad way. I never fully trust what anyone tells me, esp. the government but I do know and have seen with my own eyes just how bad some people are.

One person I know who is about 15 yrs my senior has had ten, within the past ten years. Its like damn learn how to drive or get off the road you know?