Dodge Serpentine Belt

carl

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with a recurring problem. Whenever it rains and there's standing water on the roads, my serpentine belt slips off. I can put it back on just fine, but is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? I'm getting kind of tired of re-stringing my belt back on every time it rains.

mobilityuser4

Ah! I know the answer to this!!! I had this nightmare with mine! There is a special double serpentine belt kit with a double grip belt and a special tensioner designed just for this problem. I can't remember what its called but google is your friend. However, don't go this route until you have replaced the tensioner arm. What happens when it loosens or wears out is that it cocks ever so slightly. Not enough to really notice it, but enough for a design flaw plus no water shield (another design flaw) to make every puddle your worse nightmare, (the belt just slips right off with splashed of water or snow).

Let me know here if you need help hunting down the name of the kit and manufacturer, but try replacing the tensioner arm first and make sure the new one is calibrated properly.

Last edited:

ginger

Do not wait

Mobility user is so right. I really suggest you take care of this now. It is easier to fix then it sounds but if this is put of it can turn in to a really big problem later. Good luck!

mobilityuser4

Ginger, you don't know the half of it! Having a randomly dead car was very frustrating. I couldn't restring my serpentine belt. I can say it will eventually kill your battery dead to keep restringing and jumping. So, anyway, good luck. Ask if you need any advice.