Painting

carl

How difficult would it be to paint your own car. I know there's special equipment you have to buy, and have a well ventilated space, but really, how hard could it be?

Mustang37

I would say it's pretty hard to get it to look just right. You have to worry about particles in the air and other things flying on it and ruining the paint job. You also have to have the right kind of paint gun, so it's expensive.

Ticking

If you have the time and money,I say go for it. Personally, I think it would be more time consuming then anything else to make sure everything is just right.

lauren

I would guess an entire car would be hard too but what about a touch up spot, like say, from a vehicle being keyed?

:( I came back from an errand run this weekend (the only place I went to all weekend long) and I now have an entire door side with one long key mark.

cruisin

I imagine it would be pretty hard unless you had all the things you needed. You do have to be careful about the dirt and dust getting onto the wet paint though.

LDDriver

In order to get a decent paint job don't you have to strip it down to the base coat? Then there's the primer and then the paint. It's got to be cheaper to use a professional company. And you have someone to go to if it doesn't look good.

philio

Get some Rustoleum high gloss white paint. It is the cheapest but that is just a start. You need other things. You can do a decent job for about 100 if you research.

lauren

This will sound like a "girl question" but really? You can use Rustoleum on an auto? Never heard of that one myself, but some of the prices the guy down the road was trying to sell me I was not willing to pay. :)

redwing

How much it costs

That would be the first step in doing cheap paint job yes. If anyone is trying to charge over $24 for 3 quarts then it is too much. But you also need odorless mineral spirits and 3 quarts of that as well which will cost you another $20 or so.

lauren

I guess I never really noticed how much the paints add up. I am going to need to try and do this myself to save a little and since its not down to the metal I am thankful but it will more than likely be a trial and error deal.

Jeepster

This sounds like an experiment that could go wrong. If you don't have the equipment or the facilities (dust and dirt proof) why not shop around for a better price. Mayko for instance.

philio

Supplies

Yeah, do not start this until you know you have all the supplies. Some things have already been listed. Here are more things you need: a can of primer spray paint, about 15 high density foam brushes (2 sizes, 4 and 2 inch), paint trays, and sandpaper.