Two wheels?

Testdriving

I wonder how could someone come up with the idea of making a vehicle with two instead of four wheels? When was the motorcycle (or bicycle) invented?

redwing

Invention

The first verifiable bicycle was created in 1817 however there is evidence that they have been around since the 1400s. Sylvester Howard Roper was the inventor of the first motor cycle and that happened in 1867.

Brent

Thanks Redwing for the information. Just googled it on the net and found that the 1817 bicycle was invented by Baron Karl Drais von Sauerbronn from Germany. It had no pedals yet.

rocketgirl

No pedals? Then how did it go? I would hate to learn how to ride a bike with only two wheels by just letting myself roll down a hill!

sandis

You know someone had to end up doing that right? I wonder if they were dared or paid, or maybe even both? I still like the idea of checking out older cars and even bikes when I get the chance. Hopefully we have another in our area before it starts to get cold.

Ticking

Those Germans came up with some pretty good inventions, and the motorcycle was probably the best. The VW is a close second, but who remembers those, right?

cruisin

This post was great! I wondered how the bike came about too. So I'm guessing it was the bicycle first and then a motorcycle (of course because the wheel was before the motor).

Brent

No pedals? Then how did it go? I would hate to learn how to ride a bike with only two wheels by just letting myself roll down a hill!
Well, actually you would push your feet against the ground to get it moving. It's like running, just faster and less tiring. I prefer the bike with pedals though. :)