Why can police?

fastcarsrule

Last night around 3am I was driving home from a friends house after going to a late night movie. I was tailed by a police officer for over 5 miles. I wasn't doing anything wrong by the way. Then we came to a stoplight. At which point he sat behind me for a minute, then proceeded to switch to the left turn lane-with no blinker I might add- and turn left on RED! Not blinking red, not yellow but full on red. He didn't have his lights and sirens on so it wasn't like he was on his way to an emergency. Why is he allowed to break the law? Does anybody else feel this way?

carl

Just because he didn't have his lights or siren on doesn't mean he wasn't responding to a call. And the fact that it was 3 in the morning, I'll assume it wasn't wall to wall cars. Personally, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

fastcarsrule

he may have been on the way to a call, however he was also on a major highway and although traffic wasn't heavy there were oncoming cars. it has always been my understanding that emergency vehicles must use at least the lights to alert oncoming traffic when en route to an emergency (or call) especially when going through an intersection with opposing traffic present.

Mustang37

I have seen numerous cops speeding without their lights on too. It drives me crazy! They have to follow the laws as we do unless there is an emergency. What an idiot for turning left on red. That is a major no no!

fastcarsrule

That is what I thought too, but my SO says the police should be able to do whatever they want to when driving. I wonder if he would feel the same way in all aspects of police enforcement?

Slowpoke

Where did you come from when you were coming home at 3am buddy? Maybe he was making sure that you are NOT someone that they should be of interest to them. LOL.

Mustang37

I don't agree with your SO, that is for sure. They can't do what they want. They are supposed to be there to protect us and how can they do that if they are turning left on red, and speeding!

fastcarsrule

Where did you come from when you were coming home at 3am buddy? Maybe he was making sure that you are NOT someone that they should be of interest to them. LOL.
I was coming from the drive in where I went with a friend of mine. I wasn't out drinking and I wasn't speeding or doing anything else illegal. I am not annoyed that he followed me I am annoyed that he made an illegal turn on red when he was not going to an emergency.