Thinking about a bike

lauren

Do we have any lady riders in here? I am thinking about the idea of a bike again, 3rd time in the past 10 years, I should really make up my mind. I am wondering what others are riding right now and if you would prefer something else (I guess this goes for the guys too). Please, no jokes either, I do love my bikes just can not decide what I want yet. ;)

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I want to get one. I've never owned one, but I do know when I get one it will be a Harley. They make three or four that are made special for Shriners.

sandis

Bikes are great but I still love the idea of a car for right now. After dealing with some nasty wrecks in the past the last thing I want to do right away at least is play on a bike. And Shriners? Whats that for?

beniebear

I think that he might mean Shriners as in the Masons? The guys who do all that work volunteering and raising money for charities and helping others.

Testdriving

Interesting. So Harley produces special bikes for voluntary workers? I am curious how they look like.

Anyway, when it comes to bikes for touring, I think Harley is still the best.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Shriners are all Masons, although not all Masons are Shriners. It is a group that Masons can join if they wish. Shriners tend to have two rules, the first being we have fun. Second we raise money for the Children. Shriners operate 22 Hospitals in North America, and provide free health care for children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries and cleft lip and palate. The family is never charged for any service, in fact, I will be at Florida Fair Grounds next month at the car show raising money for the transportation fund to fly one of our children back up north on an Angel flight. Those flights are not cheap.

I'm having a heck of a time finding the 2010 pictures on their website, but here are the models they offer.
• 2010 Harley-Davidson Shrine Heritage Softail Classic
• 2010 Harley-Davidson Shrine Fat Boy
• 2010 Harley-Davidson Shrine Road King
• 2010 Harley-Davidson Shrine Ultra Classic Electra Glide

They come in a special Arctic White paint job. Not sure about the badge'ing.

LDDriver

I don't want to sound girly, but honestly, what are you going to do on a bike when on the way home you need to stop and pick up something from the store? My son has a bike, and I used to ride also. He has to come home and get the car to go back out and do his buying.

philio

Shriners

I had no idea that the Shriners were so amazing! I think it is great they have some great bikes for them as well. How difficult is it for a Shriner to get one of them? They hard to find?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I had no idea that the Shriners were so amazing! I think it is great they have some great bikes for them as well. How difficult is it for a Shriner to get one of them? They hard to find?
Next time I go to a meeting I will try and remember to ask for you. As to my knowledge though, you have to order one from a dealer and show your current membership card. I do not know of any dealers that keep any in stock.

Many people do not realize that the Shriner's Hospitals are out there, and are truly free. I wish my daughter was able to go there with her issue, but it was not covered. My niece however did go there recently, and was not charged anything. They truly do good work, but sadly we are not used often enough. The last time I went on a tour of the hospital there was only 3 children. But our hospital has also set it up so we try and get as many kids home for the weekend as possible. Surgeries are usually done Monday and Tuesday so they can recover during the week and be home on the weekend. Some people often feel they are too far away. But we do offer free transportation to our children and family.