Car in Ohio slams into overpass, disintegrates

jason

Administrator
Staff member
BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) - State troopers in Ohio say an out-of-control car "disintegrated into many pieces" when it went airborne and smashed into a highway overpass pillar.
The 19-year-old driver was hospitalized in critical condition.
A police cruiser's dashboard camera captured Monday morning's stunning crash on Interstate 675 near Dayton. The video shows a 1985 Pontiac Firebird passing by in the median, striking a culvert on the ground and then being launched into the air. The car slams into the overpass, turning into a shower of parts.
The State Highway Patrol says driver Brennan Eden was ejected onto a highway shoulder. Troopers say he was alert and conscious after the crash.
Investigators are trying to determine how fast the car was going.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/24/24-car-disintegrates.html?sid=101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9YVCV9kWKQ&feature=player_embedded

philio

Not surprised

Yeah, if you read the local paper you would find out he was pulled over about 20 min before that accident happened because he was in a parking lot with alcohol, paraphernalia and a 15 year old girl. They called the girls father who came and got her and then he got on 675 and crashed. The police did not test him for drugs or alcohol in the earlier incident because they said the situation did not call for it. He also had a prior for going 90 in a 65. I know that stretch well and the truth is that people get out there early in the morning and drag race the stretch. They didn't mention that either.

redwing

It really is a shame they just let him go. He is still in critical condition and they do not know if he will make it. If they had just pursued the first stop the second might never have happened. How sad for the family.

LDDriver

What a shame that law enforcement did not work this time. With all those things being found, and his priors, he should have been taken, at least until his parents got there. Was his license even checked?

DeerKiller

That's horrible! I wish they had taken him into custody when they had him earlier. You know if he was already intoxicated and had a car and keys, he would most likely drive it. But hindsite is 20/20.

Jeepster

I know the law enforcement people also wish they had handled the earlier case a little better. Who lets an intoxicated person continue to drive?

Rockett

I wish they had handled the earlier case a little better.
Now that's an understatement. You have to wonder if the family is going to sue in this case. Not that they should, no one made that kid drink and drive, but people have sued for for less.