Automatics

tuner

I've always driven a stick shift, but am in a position right now where I'm borrowing a friend's automatic for a couple of months. It feels...odd. It hesitates when I hit the gas and changes gears before I would. Is this just something I have to get used to, or are there ways to make an automatic car "feel" better?

cruisin

I would not be messing with your friends car to make it feel better. I don't notice anything between my automatic and standard. You just might have to get used to it.

eDrive

I think it's more of a "feel" issue than anything else. Ask the person you borrowed the car from if it has ever had trouble with the tranny. You never know, they may have been having trouble. I've never noticed a difference between the two but then I don't have both to drive at the same time either.

hotrod

I have never driven a stick but I have driven in one and never really noticed a difference between the two. It sounds like they are either missing a motor mount or are having transmission trouble.

redwing

I have driven both but I think a manual is better. I also feel strange when I switch back and fourth. It just takes getting used to. I do not know if there is really anything you can do, especially with a friends car.

philio

You could give yourself something fake to shift. Like put a cup in the cup holder and shift that. I have found myself reaching over to do that. Fells silly but might help!

Danny_123

Are you thinking about doing some work on the car for your friends are are you just asking how can you make it feel better for yourself?