Birds nest?

hotrod

I think a bird built a nest in the undercarriage of my truck! I saw some sticks and such hanging from the hollow part of my frame and went to pull it out. It turns out there was a lot stuffed in there! Then I heard chirping. How on Earth did a bird built a nest up there and survive? How can I get it out without hurting it?

coup

If you leave it in then it has more chance of getting hurt then if you take it out. You will have to start removing the nesting material and get as much of it out and then try to clear the way to get the bird out.

Ticking

How long has your truck been sitting? I wouldn't wait too long to get it out. The undercarriage of a pick-up isn't a natural habitat for birds.

hotrod

Ticking, that is the funny thing. My truck doesn't sit, I drive it every day, sometimes multiple times a day so I am not sure how a bird had enough time to built a nest in there. I have been working on the nesting material a little at a time but I am shocked at the sheer volume of stuff in there. There is dry grass, twigs, some tissue like scraps. It is just crazy.

philio

That is strange

I have to say that that is very strange. Still I think it is a reminder of the dwindling habitat and how animals are trying to find mew places to live and find food. New solutions will surely follow.

vayacondios

Do you think it's just one bird in there with eggs, or do you think the chirping is baby birds? There's a good chance that if you pull it out and baby birds have already been born, that they won't survive long after that.

sandis

Remove it and keep an eye on the area for the next week or so. A friend had a similar issue, mine has never been with vehicles but around our homes. We have found three in the past few months where some are trying to nest in the rain gutters.

hotrod

Sandis, there is no way for me to remove the nest short of disassembling my car frame, in tact. I am pretty sure the babies have already been born.