Cheap Wax-Beware

Andy C

I did something really, really dumb the other day. I was at a local dollar type store and they had some liquid wax but it wasn't the name brand stuff. I thought-well worth a try even if it doesn't work. At a buck, who could complain. Well, I tried it yesterday and today there is a white residue on the finish of my car. Thank goodness it's going to buff off but I could have ruined my car finish if it had been a bit different. Sheesh!:mmph:

Chandler

That's why it was at that place. It's the stuff that no one else wants or that didn't make it past the testing phase. I'm not saying all of the stuff is like that but you really have to be careful.

Alexus

I guess they figure that people who can only afford wax for a buck can't really be driving a fancy car, at the same time it makes you wonder if you could file a lawsuit if it causes damage! You were lucky that you could buff it off!

YellerRacer

Yeah, sorry to hear you wasted your time on that - at least it wasn't a lot of money. The buffing for me is the most annoying part of fixing something like this; all the work you put into putting it on just to have to work again to take it off.

Benny

Well that's horrible. In defense of the dollar stores, I have gotten some pretty good stuff there and it was actually surprising. I found a cookie I loved and I also found a cool type of decorative nail that I use to hang pictures for my wife. There are also other things but that's what comes to mind right now.

Rod

Since I started using RainX car wash solution on my vehicles, I don't even see the need to wax anymore. A bottle of it goes really far too, so I think it's pretty inexpensive for what you get.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I learned a long time ago to find out what professional detailer's use, and get that. The problem is, they switch a lot more often then I can since I stopped detailing.

philio

Dollar stores are great, there are some things you can get there, but there are other things you should not get there. I buy shampoo and other things like that at dollar stores, but car wax I get at an automotive store.

HondaMan

I've always used Mother's waxes and polishes. I've been using them for ten years now and my car looks as good now as it did 10 years ago. I see no reason to switch.