How do you negotiate with a dealer?

sharky

One thing I am not good at is negotiating. I have a bit of a fear about car dealerships for this exact reasons. How do you negotiate a fair price with a dealer?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I like the way I did it last time. Took very little time, and I feel I got a great deal. I went to the local dealer, looked at the vehicles and test drove them. Then I figured out what options I wanted, and picked two colors. I then e-mailed every dealer in a 50 mile radius. I told them exactly what I wanted and gave them the two color choices and asked for their price including tax, tag and title. I gave them 3 or 4 work days to respond. I then took the lowest price and re-mailed them with the lowest price. Again waited a few days, and re-mailed them again with the lowest price. By this time I had a few dealers who said they would not go lower. After about a month I basically had two dealers who were at the same price. One said they would have to have the car in stock on their lot for the price. The other said they would order what I wanted. So I had them order it. Went down there, inspected it, and bought it.

fiat500

Brilliant technique

That is very smart, Jason. I would do the same when I finally get to by my own car. (The one I'm driving now is my hubby's) I don't have the talent of negotiating either but your technique is pretty brilliant.

cruisin

That is smart Jason. I just do a lot of research online and go in armed with details and facts. Most of the time the sales people try to sweet talk you into a higher price. I have walked out of many dealerships because they would not work with me.

JeepersCreepers

I am definitely not good at negotiating, thank goodness I had someone who was last time I bought a car. I got 2.9% interest and $1000 for my trade in (that so wasn't worth that).