How to repair fiberglass bodyparts

Jeepster

I bought my Jeep second hand and it has broken places, instead of dents. I'm told its fiberglass but I want to repair it with metal. On the fender corners there are splits/tears, also over the tires. Can I change it out and if not, how do I fix the splits/tears?

AlabamaAllen

I'd just swing for used replacement parts. It would be much easier and you could have it all painted then once you have installed them. You can repair fiberglass but I don't like to. The integrity is much better if you just replace.

Red'sCherokee

You can purchase a fiberglass repair kit. Otherwise your going to have to use replacement pieces. Metal replacement means getting a body shop to maanufacture the parts since they come in fiberglass.

Ottoman

My car has fiberglass parts that I had to replace after I got hit. I felt my baby deserves better, but that's how I bought her.

redwing

Not metal

You are going to have a heck of the time replacing it with metal and getting that to work for you unless you have the right tools. Why do you want to use metal anyway? A poly bumper kit might be the best way to go.

Ticking

It all depends on how you feel about the appearance of the jeep. Myself, I would just go for the repair kit. But that's just me.

cruisin

I don't think I would put metal on it if it's fiberglass. You can buy the repair kits like others have said. I think metal would look funny and be hard to mold into shape.

Jeepster

I'm old fashioned. Cars are supposed to be made of metal. Good and strong and safe. Riding around in fiberglass is like riding around in Barbie's car.