Why Don't People Do This Anymore?

Chandler

I had the oil changed in my car the other day and I also asked them to change the fluid in the tranny. They looked at me like I'd grown a second head. They said they don't do that there since it was a quick lube type place. So I'm going to take it to the local garage and get it done. I like to have the fluid changed to try to make sure I don't have any trouble. How about you?

philio

I know of one quick lube type place here that will do that. The rest of them either do not do that, or they will charge you extra for it. That takes up time and the quick lube places have to service x number of cars each day.

vayacondios

Yeah, the places that are trying to get the job done fast don't want to take the time for something like that, which isn't something that people put a lot of emphasis on getting done. How often do you change your fluid, anyway?

Benny

I have mine changed at least once a year. I find I've had less trouble with transmissions when I have done this regularly. I try my best to measure belts and check other things regularly too. I use the same type of gas and all of the time too.

HondaMan

I have a '94 Honda Accord five speed, and I change mine every 30K miles. I think it's something that, like changing the oil, needs to be done regularly to prevent transmission troubles.

minyoung

I haven't taken much notice about this because my car is brought to the service center at certain mileages. But I think I recall well that changing the oil in the transmission box takes longer. So, understandably, quick lube won't be likely to take on that job.

HondaMan

In all honesty, those "quicky lube" places are not the best thing for your car. These guys are paid minimum wage to do nothing but change oil, and do it as quickly as humanly possibly. You need to find you a good mechanic who owns his own shop. He's the kind of guy that takes pride in what he does.

Benny

A lot of people just don't know to have this type of thing done. It will prolong the life of your car but the way they are made now, they are pretty much a throw away item even if they do cost more than your house.

Mario

It's not as straight forward to check and change transmission fluid as it is for oil. Too much or too little transmission fluid could damage the transmission, so probably best they declined to do it.