Worried about Holiday-Related Crime?

tuner

Last year around the holidays, my home was broken into. The person didn't even steal anything; it appears they were looking for cash. People can be so desperate for money around the holidays to please their families; are you worried at all about the kind of crimes that the holidays bring about?

sharky

I am a little worried about that. I have done the best that I can to secure my house, but I know if a burglar wants in, they are going to get in. I am considering getting a big inside dog.

AllenWrench

They are already starting that where I live. Some guy robbed Kroger's the other day with a BB gun. But the clerk didn't know that the gun was a BB gun. He ran off with $450 or so. So, I expect the car windows are going to start being broken into if there is anything visible.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I talk to the wife all the time because she leaves charger cables and sometimes the GPS out in sight. The last time I told her I would not be replacing anything that was stolen if she continue to leaves the stuff in sight. It takes two seconds to put in in the console.

Mario

A few years back I decided to open a bank account closer to where I live. It was a week before Christmas. While I was in there a guy did a hold up at the drive up window!

tuner

Wow - the drive up window is pretty intense! I used to have a big scary dog - the issue is that if you train the dog to be nice to guests, then it's useless for protection. If you train it to be mean to strangers, you have to lock or chain it up when you have guests. I now have a home alarm security system instead of having a mean dog.

AllenWrench

I have a friend who has a dog he trained to attack at the words "Good Boy". That's usually what someone is going to say if they are in your home and trying to rob you. As long as you didn't say "Good Boy" you were fine but once you said it, you had better be prepared for teeth and claws.

Rod

I'm not really worried about it because it's to be expected with all the emphasis and hype about "getting stuff" this time of year. I will be more vigilant about keeping things locked up, where I park, etc.

Andy C

I have nothing in the car that you can see. I usually take out everything this time of year when people are starting to get desperate. You can't afford to have things where people can see them.

Alexus

I was recently surprised to find out that there has been a lot of crime in my small neighborhood. I attended a neighborhood meeting that was called together because of it and was surprised at the turn-out! And even more surprised to hear about things that have been going on! Besides their stories, I had my own.... I am home all day, and still I have never seen or heard anything. But... one of my son's car window was smashed in broad daylight when he was visiting, and my next door neighbor's house alarm went off, and I never saw anyone trying to break in. And if you leave any kind of small change in your car, and the car door unlocked, they will take it! You just have to report any type of suspicious activity or strangers in your neighborhood. If they have a reason to be there, that's easily explained. And it will also let the others see that crime will not be tolerated!